Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Year of the Lady - 2008

I have to say I do love this time of year - I feel sick from eating too much chocolate cheesecake and extra thick cream, I can't beat Slash at the Guitar Hero battle, I'm debating whether to take a dress back I bought in the sale (which is all frou frou and looks like something Sarah Jessica Parker could get away with - but you could 3 SJP's in this particular size dress). Ultimately it's the fact I don't have to get up to do the day job, and I can stay up as long as I want and do dumb ass stuff, and even watch Citizen Kane into the early hours of the morning.

Really this only means I will end up contemplating this years media fantasticness,
so hear is another end of year list (my 2nd annual one and yes of course, it's late).

And as for the next year I look forward to more offerings next year from Jack White, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Graham Coxon and finally the new Courtney Love CD.


*2008*

My yearly round up has seen a predilection for gigs, very few films, street art and the rise, rise, rise of handmade crafty goodness. Looking back on my 2008 has seen a lot of female fantasticness - new music and fantastic shows to promote it - Goldfrapp, Grace Jones, Madonna, Martha Wainwright,
Bjork, Alison Krauss, Dolly Parton, Joan as Policewoman, Ladytron and Cat Power (she was something else). I don't know whether it is something in the stars but these ladies left the guys in the dust when it came to putting on shows and producing great albums.

GIGS

All No 1. Grace Jones - Meltdown
Alison Krauss & Robert Plant - Cardiff CIA

Cat Power - Colston Hall
Madonna - Cardiff Stadium
Martha Wainwright - Colston Hall
Joan as Policewoman - Thekla

I really can't put these in a 1 - 6 order as the 1st first 4 shows completely blew me away. Each one of them had the sense of drama, the art of putting on a show or just the right touch of light and dark when needed. I've been going to gigs since I was 12 and I really don't recall such a profusion of energy and that leaves you with your mouth open, and knowing you experienced something rare and beautiful.



MUSIC
Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
MGMT - Electric Feel
Ladyhawke - Paris is Burning
Friendly Fires - Paris
Tricky - Puppy Toy

Mostly on my playlists have been - Martha Wainwright, Goldfrapp, Joan as Policewoman and all of the above.

FILMS

I'm going to struggle with this. We didn't see a huge amount of films this year, and what we did were predictable block busters.

1. Dark Knight
2. Sweeney Todd
3.
No Country for Old Men
4. Sex and The City (not a great movie, just nice to look at if you love fashion and clothes)
5.
Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (not a great movie, but lovely to reminisce)
Special mentions go to - 'Be Kind, Re Wind' (when I returned this DVD to the library, they told me the previous watcher complained it was possibly broken as the screen was flickering alot in black and white - aww bless). 'The Orphanage', and 'In Bruges' (good performances, abit overly talky but quirky and with a British-style enough for the Sexy Beast fans).

RIP in my inspirational lovelies xxx



Eartha Kitt
Bettie Page
This post is dedicated to my beloved and partner in crime x

No comments: